Every blogger strives to get as many unique visitors to their site as possible, but what about keeping them there? Wouldn’t you like to increase page views so that they are sticking around rather than reading one post and leaving? Increasing your page views is beneficial when it comes to brands and advertising, and it can also help your bounce rate.
The following steps are just a handful of ways that you can increase page views on your blog.
How to Increase Page Views
1. Make your blog navigation-friendly. Have a menu with your most common topics displayed. Add links to your most popular posts in the sidebar. These will be there no matter what page the visitor lands on, and it furthers the chance for them to stay around a while and read more of your posts.
2. Have a search bar on your site. This offers your readers the best way to find what they are looking for. If you don’t have a search bar, it’s safe to say you are decreasing your page views with this one mistake.
3. Link to other pages within your blog. Be sure to add a link to at least one other blog post each time you write a new one. It needs to be somewhat related in order for this to really work. For example, if you write about how to decorate a cake, include a link to a cake mix recipe you have published in the past. Doing this each time will help you increase page views for all of your posts.
4. Use a related posts WordPress plugin. There are several plugins that will pull related posts and offer them to your readers at the end of each post. This makes it easy for them to click and read another article…and another…and another. The plugin I use on this blog is the Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.
5. Stick with 2-4 themes for your blog. Having a niche makes increasing page views much easier, as everything you write about should be somewhat related. Having too many categories and topics on your blog makes it more difficult, as people may get overwhelmed and leave when reading the post they landed on.
6. Do a compilation post. Have you written 10+ posts on a related topic over the past several months? Put them all together in one post, linking to each of them. Heavily promote the compilation via social media and use proper SEO tactics so it will rank well in Google. Create an image and place it in your sidebar, linking to the compilation post. Many readers will find this post to be a goldmine if they are looking for lots of info on the topic.
7. Stay on topic in your blog posts. People want to read quality content when they visit a blog. They want something that is entertaining and/or educational. If they enjoy reading your posts, they are likely to click around and see what else you offer. Rambling posts that aren’t very useful or don’t relate to the title will have them quickly leaving your blog.
8. Create a blog post series. If you have a wealth of knowledge on a certain topic…that would take you thousands of words to completely share, make a series. One way is to break the content into five posts, publishing one each day, Monday-Friday. Be sure to link to the rest of the series in each posts to make it easier for readers to find them all.
9. Be consistent in your blogging. You must put out content regularly in order to increase page views. This gives your newer readers more and more information to digest when they visit your blog.
10. Show post excerpts on your homepage. Rather than allowing an entire blog post to be read from your blog’s main page, offer just a small portion. This makes the reader click to read more, increasing the number of pages they view. Excerpts also allow you to feature more posts on a single page, meaning you have more options for the reader when they land on your site.